Saturday, July 14, 2012

Don't Regret Your Regrets

Dear Claire,

For some reason, it has become the new thing to "have no regrets".  I constantly hear people saying that they have no regrets because if it weren't for their mistakes they wouldn't be where they are today.

Mommy thinks that's mostly b.s.

There are some mistakes that you'll make in life that you shouldn't regret because you really will learn something from them.  Most of this blog is made up of lessons that I learned the hard way, and if I hadn't taken those risks, I probably wouldn't be the person I am today.

However, there is nothing wrong with having regrets because for most of the mistakes you'll make, you should have already known better.  The lesson didn't need to be learned, it already had been, you simply forgot that you knew it or you chose to ignore it.  When this is the case, you better regret it, or you'll just do it again.

I regret being cruel to people when I was younger instead of trying to get to know them better.  I regret judging people before I knew their story.  I reget not being more honest in past relationships and friendships.  I regret hiding my insecurities.  I regret talking when I should have been listening.  I regret not telling people how I really felt at the time.  I regret making decisions based on fear.  I regret rushing when I should have slowed down.

I knew better, even at the time.
 
Have some regrets and don't feel bad about having them, just try not to repeat them.

Love you even when you make mistakes - mom.


P.S. - I also regret wearing purple tapered jeans, huge blue eye glasses and sweatshirts with loons on them. Horrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment